HYB: Pigments 101 -- "Final Exam"

In a message dated 12/26/00 5:09:46 PM Mountain Standard Time,
donald@eastland.net writes:

<<
 May I presume that line breeding leads to stock with more or less stable
 traits
 which then lend themselves to the simpler allele-based model as a practical
 application even though the epistatic rules apply in a real sense?>>

That's a good description of what happens -- but in most cases the process
has actually started with the selection of foundation stock.  In choosing
prospective parents for certain traits, there's an excellent chance those
cultivars will be homozygous for some sets of alleles.  Practically speaking,
that means we don't have to worry about the possible recombinations of the
entire series.

<<
 I have gathered that the chemical pathways are controlled differently in the
 different
 iris species, e.g. dwarf and aril species as opposed to the TBs.  So as a
 result it has
 been difficult to get a true pink arilbred, or is this off base?  But since
 TBs are the
 result of long years of hybridizing of different species, wouldn't they have
 a lot of
 built in epistatic surprises when you wouldn't expect one?  Just sitting
 there waiting
 for the right cross in order to put in an appearance?

Yes, the epistatic series are especially complex when diverse species are
involved -- and, yes, some very interesting surprises can crop up.

Sharon McAllister

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/977878597/