Re: HYB LUMINATAS

--- In iris-talk@egroups.com, Gerry Snyder <gerrysnyder@m...> wrote:
> PAUL BLACK wrote:
> >
> > ....  That is one of the hazards of
> > working with recessive patterns is that they are usually weaker.
>
> Any ideas about how much of this effect is directly caused
> by the visible recessive patterns, and how much by other genes
> that got concentrated in these cultivars by the line-breeding
> used to develop them?

This is a good question, one that I have pondered myself. Paart odf it
seems to be the number of idividual plants that you are selecting
from. I can give an example using Eramosa Snowball, a white glaciata.
Its pod parent is a white glaciata , and was a poor grower and not of
great form. It was the better of two white glaciatas from the cross.
When I crossed this seedling with Transcribe, a good grower, I got
several plants to choose from. When you have more individual plants of
the same pattern to choose from, you have a better chance to get a
hardy, good formed plant. When choosing from a smaller selection you
have less chance. The recesive genes will produce less plants in the
initial cross and thus you need to work with what you have. I also
expect that there is some weakness from the line breeding. I have also
noticed that some combinations will reduce vigour and form , just by
their genes (apparently). An example of this is the broken colour TBs.
In crosses that produce broken colour and regular plicata seedlings,
the broken colour seedlings have poorer form and are less vigorous
then their regular plicata siblings when otherwise their genetics
should be very similar. I have had some spectacular broken colour
seedlings that have just faded away from lack of vigour in my climate

Zone 4/5 Southern Ontario, Canada where we (usually)have little snow
cover and long cold and wet springs with many freezes and thaws.

Click here for more details:
http://click.egroups.com/1/10801/0/_/486170/_/978007097/