OT: Armitage Perennial Book

One of my Christmas presents was Alan Armitage's new book on perennials
(Timber Press).  I was delighted to get it...BUT......

As with any such book I first turned to the section on Iris.  I found a
number of mistakes there.  A form of I. setosa was labelled as a Siberian
hybrid (the name, which I didn't recogize, was also included in a list of
Siberians; the picture is definitely a setosa).  A close-up labelled "I.
tectorum" is obviously I. cristata.  A picture of a hybrid Louisiana (a
violet bitone, possibly 'Colorific?') was labelled as "I. nelsonii," and in
the text there was repeated reference to something called "I. louisiana."
There is no "I. louisiana."

Someone more knowledgeable about older bearded irises might find errors in
the labelling of the photos of those as well.

When a subject you know something about is not handled well in a general
book, it raises doubts about the subjects you do not know well!

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(804)223-6172
FAX (804)223-6374
email<wshear@email.hsc.edu>
Moderating e-lists:
Coleus at http://www.egroups.com/community/coleus
Opiliones at http://www.egroups.com/community/opiliones
Myriapod at http://www.egroups.com/community/myriapod

With US & International rates as low as 3.9c a minute from Net2Phone
Direct Plus Up to 1500 FREE minutes; you can call everyone on your list!
http://click.egroups.com/1/10924/0/_/486170/_/978026050/