Re: HYB LUMINATAS

Thanks Gerry for reminding me that when we make a statement, sometimes
we end up with more questions than we can answer.  Thank you Chuck
also for all helping us try to understand these patterns.

In Oklahoma and other less favorable growth areas,
plicatas/luminatas/glaciatas (plg for short) are generally weaker in
growth and disease resistance.  There are exceptions to this.  So,
what does that tell us?  You are certainly correct in questioning my
linking recessive patterns as a direct causative factor of these
weaker characteristics.  I think Chuck is headed in the right
direction.
First, we have a lot smaller breeding population to choose from and so
end up using parents that have less than ideal genes to pass on.
Second, if we have chosen parents to use that have these flaws, we
also know that those flaws will be passed along at the same rate or at
a greater rate than the traits we want.  If we look at where most of
the line breeding of "plg" came from and the weaknesses of those
lines, it is easier to understand the associated weaknesses that exist
now.

Third, there are those linkages that occur that are hard to break.
Again, someone with a better scientific mind than mine will have to
work this one through.  One example I get when I talk with other
hybridizers is that when you get the luminata pattern, you also get
poor branching and few buds.  It seems hard to break this link, but it
isn't impossible.

This is off the "plg" pattern, but a link I found interesting.  One
aspect that makes it even more intersting is that the cross was made
both ways.  The cross was (Mystique X Twist Of Fate) and the reverse
(Twist Of Fate X Mystique)  It was a cross that yielded wonderful
seedlings.  There was just one problem and it occured in both crosses.
 As the intensity of the ruffling and "great form" and contrast of
light to dark in the standards and falls increased, so did the
incidence of overbloom.  I could walk down the row and the seedlings
with the prettiest form and ruffling and nearest to white standards
and black falls would be totally bloomed out.  There would be 4 or 5
bloomstalks and no evidence of an increase whatever.  This pattern
isn't normally associated with overbloom, but in this case, it was
very closely linked to it in some way.

Back to Gerry's question.  As "they" say, selection is everything.
Well, and maybe a bit of luck too.  If we have selected parents based
on the best phenotypic and genepotypic traits possible for a
particular pattern, be it dominant or recessive, we stand a far better
chance of maintaing the plant and flower quality we want.  Even at
that, there are always surprises - good and bad.

Paul Black
Zone 8  Salem, Oregon

In iris-talk@egroups.com, Gerry Snyder <gerrysnyder@m...> wrote:
> PAUL BLACK wrote:
> >
> > ....  That is one of the hazards of
> > working with recessive patterns is that they are usually weaker.
>
> Any ideas about how much of this effect is directly caused
> by the visible recessive patterns, and how much by other genes
> that got concentrated in these cultivars by the line-breeding
> used to develop them?
>
> Gerry
> --
> mailto:gerrysnyder@m...
> Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair, Region 15 RVP
> Member San Fernando Valley, Southern California Iris Societies
> in warm, winterless Los Angeles
> my work: helping generate data for: http://galileo.jpl.nasa.gov/

Click here for more details:
http://click.egroups.com/1/10801/0/_/486170/_/978040577/