HYB: Umbrata

Sorry I've taken so long to reply to the question about the name
'umbrata'.  I don't check the photos list very often, so had missed the
whole discussion with that gorgeous seedling photo from Paul Black till
this morning.

I coined the term 'umbrata' which, as Paul and Chuck had surmised, was
intended as a short descriptive term for the fall pattern where the
center is dark and only the edges are lighter.  I chose the word because
I think it means shadow & I was trying to find out more about the
heredity of the pattern.  I had wondered if this 'umbrata' pattern was
the same (genetically speaking) as the pumila 'spot' pattern or if maybe
it was related to the plicata/glaciata pattern in some way, as well as
how it might be inherited.  We had some very limited discussion at the
time - one of my many unanswerable questions <g>!

I agree there is no reason to make up more names for patterns, since
they come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.  "Umbrata" just seemed
useful for purposes of discussion, & it's a word I can remember <g>.

I really have enjoyed the discussions about these fall patterns.
Sometimes it takes a few years for even partial answers to my questions
to get posted <g>.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
wondering if I could kill Paul Black's gorgeous 'umbrata' seedling...

Click here for more details: