Re: HYB: Umbrata

> I coined the term 'umbrata' which, as Paul and Chuck had surmised,
> intended as a short descriptive term for the fall pattern where the
> center is dark and only the edges are lighter.  I chose the word
> I think it means shadow & I was trying to find out more about the
> heredity of the pattern.  I had wondered if this 'umbrata' pattern
> the same (genetically speaking) as the pumila 'spot' pattern or if
> it was related to the plicata/glaciata pattern in some way, as well
> how it might be inherited.  We had some very limited discussion at
> time - one of my many unanswerable questions <g>!
> I agree there is no reason to make up more names for patterns, since
> they come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.  "Umbrata" just seemed
> useful for purposes of discussion, & it's a word I can remember <g>.
--I like the term. It seems to capture the essence of a
different pattern that is distinctive. It's much easier to say umbrata
 then to say "you know that pattern where......" I for one will
continue to use the term unless someone comes up with a term that has
allready been used to label the pattern. It definatly seems to be
genetic and will become increasingly prominant as more of these
pattern types are introduced. Thanks Linda

eGroups eLerts