> --- In iris-talk@egroups.com, Gerry Snyder <gerrysnyder@m...> wrote:
> > PAUL BLACK wrote:
> > > ....  That is one of the hazards of
> > > working with recessive patterns is that they are usually weaker.
> > Any ideas about how much of this effect is directly caused
> > by the visible recessive patterns, and how much by other genes
> > that got concentrated in these cultivars by the line-breeding
> > used to develop them?
> This is a good question, one that I have pondered myself. Part of it
> seems to be the number of idividual plants that you are selecting
> from.  When you have more individual plants of the same pattern to choose
> from, you have a better chance to get a hardy, good formed plant.The
> recesive genes will produce less plants in the initial cross and thus you
> need to work with what you have. I also expect that there is some weakness
> from the line breeding. I have also noticed that some combinations will
> reduce vigour and form , just by their genes (apparently). An example of
> this is the broken colour TBs.  In crosses that produce broken colour and
> regular plicata seedlings, the broken colour seedlings have poorer form
> and are less vigorous than their regular plicata siblings when otherwise
> their genetics should be very similar.
I don't know iris genetics specifically, but I hypothesize that the "bad
form" gene and the "broken color" gene are close together on the chromosome.
The original "broken color" genetic material may be from a single or limited
number of sources and that particular link on the chromosome just hasn't
been broken.  Or maybe it has by now; some "broken color" iris are beginning
to show improved form.  I absolutely agree that line breeding is likely the
culprit in habitually weak classes of iris.  The recessive pigmentation
patterns themselves are unlikely to be inherently linked to poor growth
habits, although the same "adjacent genes" theory might apply.

Does anyone know the dominant/recessive nature of the gene(s) responsible
for the neglecta pattern?

John Reeds

eGroups eLerts