Re: HYB: HIST: umbrata

I did a quick search thru the registration and introduction (R&I) books
for cultivars carrying the umbrata pattern in parentages of
<Ringo, Escatic Echo, Magic Man, Magharee, Outrageous Fortune, Bristo
Magic, Latin Lady, Sweeter than Wine, Crimson Snow, Spin Off,  &
Impressionist..>

They all trace back to WINE AND ROSES which dead ends there - all the
R&I says is that it was a 1963 Hall introduction from seedlings of the
same pattern.  Anybody have any more information on possible parentages
involved in WINE AND ROSES?  What I'm interested in is whether or not
there might be opportunities to pull out that same color pattern from
the same older, tougher cultivars he might have used, crossed with
really recent cultivars, to increase the genetic diversity in that color
pattern, if all the modern versions really come from WINE AND ROSES.

I didn't look up HEAVENLY BODY, SO FINE, VIVA LA FRANCE or WABASH yet.
Another really pretty historic iris with that pattern is..oh rats..it's
like WABASH, only in much redder tones (help, Donald Eaves, you know the
one I mean...)

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/978125529/