Re: CULT: humore and short stalks

Donald Eaves wrote:

> Linda writes:
>
> >When I see tall foliage and short bloom stalks in TBs, I always assume
> >they were hit by a hard freeze (low 20s F) after a warm spell (highs in
> >the 70s and 80s, lows in the 50s) about 2 months before blooming.  Well
> >before stalks are even thinking about showing.

I am not debating what Linda experiences, but would only add this. Here
in CA where I am, we do not get enough cold and the dwarf varieties
bloon down in the fans below their registered height. Maybe it is a
different process going on.

I have to say that I am with Abe and Gerry on the Humore issue. My
observation, which I heard repeated by others, was that those gardens
that used Humore the most heavily had the most signs of rot and other
disease. My opinion is that it has too much nitrogen and the foliage was
over grown and got caught in cold snaps.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:
http://members.home.net/jijones

President, Westbay Iris Society
Director, Region 14 of the AIS
Director, American Iris Society

Subscribe to iris-talk at:
http://www.egroups.com/subscribe/iris-talk

Subscribe to iris-photos at:
http://www.egroups.com/subscribe/iris-photos

With US & International rates as low as 3.9c a minute from Net2Phone
Direct Plus Up to 1500 FREE minutes; you can call everyone on your list!
http://click.egroups.com/1/10924/0/_/486170/_/978143483/