OT-Chat: Winter.

In a message dated 12/29/00 8:45:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
storylade@aol.com writes:

<<  Once the ice and snow melted the gravel roads had no
 bottom!  It was early April before life gained some sense of normalcy.>>
 << KY too. >>

Jim and Betty,
       I remember that series of winters in Kentucky:  1976/1977, 1977/1978,
and 1978/1979, with the last being the "mildest."  After a long cold spell in
early 1979, I was driving down the street we lived on in Camargo, KY, when
suddenly the road broke under and the car sunk all the way to the
undercarriage.  Since it happened almost in front of the house, at least it
was obvious that I had not done something stupid.
       It looks like we have another series of very nasty freezes coming this
way.  The potted TB Irises and the Dormant Daylily varieties appear to be
loving it.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida.   USDA Zone 8b.