Re: HYB: HIST: umbrata

Wow, talk about timely!  Thanks Dave.  SHAH JEHAN is the one I was
thinking of.  Interesting that it turns out to be in the pedigree of

Dave Silverberg wrote:
<Linda: In answer to your question the following might be of some

Wine and Roses ( as you said) from two seedlings of same coloring.
Seedling #59-26

The Hall Chronicle (which I just happened to proof read today) says of
"Involving Extravaganza X 45-29, et al."
Seedling 45-29 is indicated as being Sea Otter X Shah Jehan
Sea Otter = Jeb Stuart X very dark brown seedling
Shah Jehan = Ambassadeur X  .....>

I wasn't thinking of MILDRED, but will look her up too.  I rummaged
around on Mike Lowe's Word Iris site <http://www.worldiris.com/> looking
for historics with umbrata pattern and found only one with anthocyanin
(blue/purple) pigments - DOMINION.  Other oldies with this pattern seem
to be variegatas of one sort or another (i.e., MEXICO, QUAKER LADY).
Which made me wonder if the umbrata pattern is the same (genetics) when
carotene pigments are affected as when anthocyanin pigments are
affected.  I didn't look at every picture, just names that were familiar
to me from pedigrees of 'survivors' here or that otherwise sounded

Dave continued:
<The other iris name you are searching for is probably Mildred Presby>

Dennis Kramb, were you the one making crosses with some of these old
recessive amoenas like SHAH JEHAN and WABASH?  Somebody on the list was
and sent me a couple of photos of some really pretty old-timey looking
seedlings.  Dennis, or whoever it was if you are still there, can you
shed any light on heredity of the pattern?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
becoming more and more frustrated with my senior moments!!

With US & International rates as low as 3.9c a minute from Net2Phone
Direct Plus Up to 1500 FREE minutes; you can call everyone on your list!