HYB: yellow plicatas?

>Another variegata looking one is BERTHA GERSDORFF, which sez on Mike's
><BERTHA GERSDORFF.  TB-MLa-Y9L (Sass-J. 1942)  No.40-163. (From yellow
>plicata seedlings)>
>So maybe this IS related in some wierd way to the plicata/glaciata
>What would a <yellow plicata> from that era have looked like?  White
>ground with yellow plicata rims of some sort?

Is there a yellow plicata pattern (white ground, yellow markings)?  I know
there are numbers of varieties with yellow or yellow-washed standards and a
yellow rim around the falls (BRIDE'S HALO?), but my impression of this is
very different from the plicata pattern, largely because the rim is not
veined or dotted, but a solid color.  These varieties look to me like
variegatas in which the anthocyanins have been blocked, or amoenas without
anthocyanins but with cartoenoids in the normally white parts....any
thoughts on the inheritance of this pattern?  I do know that a number of
iris like this came out of pink breeding (DEBBY RAIRDON was from two

I recall the old variety STARSHINE, which had this pattern after a day in
the sun, but opened with a distinct blue flush in the falls.

Also something which has not been mentioned so far in this very
illuminating discussion has been the yellow-ground plicata pattern; that's
what I think of when somebody says "yellow plicata".

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943