Re: HYB: HIST: umbrata

--- In iris-talk@egroups.com, Linda Mann <lmann@i...> wrote:
> Another variegata looking one is BERTHA GERSDORFF, which sez on
Mike's
> website:
> <BERTHA GERSDORFF.  TB-MLa-Y9L (Sass-J. 1942)  No.40-163. (From
yellow
> plicata seedlings)>
>
> So maybe this IS related in some wierd way to the plicata/glaciata
> genes???
>
> What would a <yellow plicata> from that era have looked like?  White
> ground with yellow plicata rims of some sort?
>
> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

--I have been doing a lot of reading of the old material. By yellow
plicata they were referring to the yellow ground stitched brown or
burgundy. This was new at that time as most plicatas up until then
were white ground. Now of course we have yellow ground and pink ground
plicatas. Generally the ground colour (carotines)is not influenced by
the plicata genes which efects only the anthocyanin pigments. There
can be interactive effects such as with the "ringed" factor that has
shown up with some of my SDB seedlings. This (ring factor) will need
more study. It is possibly a flavanoid pigment rather then a carotine
pigment. The carotine pigment family are the yellow and pink ground
colour.
The umbrata factor can interact with the plicata genes as seen with
Owyee Desert, Owyee Amethyst, Bruneaau Jasper and Wild Jasmine. The
fist three have the Umbrata with yellow and violet while Wild Jasmine
has it only with violet. Umbrata doesn't seem to be a plicata allele.

Chuck Chapman, Guelph, Ontario, Canada

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/978193246/