Re: Re: CULT:"nutra-brew"

On December 30, 2000 11:01 am, you wrote:

> boring task of making order out of chaos in the house. - And today i came
> across this unfiled copy -- and this article on "Nutri-Brew" -"an organic
> compost which is a by-product of grain waste from a local brewer"  Donna
> James of Enchantment Acres (Hannibal,  NY - and also ass't RVP)   wrote
> about this. She said the root system and worm activity was outstanding.
> Now what I want to know, has anyone else used this, - how do you get it (I
> hope it doesn't smell like beer!)  Etc.,Etc., Etc.  Rosalie nr Baltimore

	Are you looking for spent grain? Or is there a product called Nutri-brew? If
you want spent grain homebrewers would be your best option. Maybe ask at a
local homebrew supply place if they have a bullitin board. Somebody mashing
in an apartment might not have a composter.  Spent grain won't smell like
beer. It won't even taste like beer. All you are getting really is the husks
of the barley. Most of the starch has been coverting to sugar and hopefully
extracted from the grain. Depending on the beer maybe corn,rice ,wheat or
even rye in addition to the barley. Personally when my compost comes out of
the bin I can't tell what was grain and what was lawn grass etc. I also doubt
you could compost just grain and hops. I'm assuming the hops are being used
also. Too little nitrogen. I never thought I would say that about beer.

eGroups eLerts