Re: CULT: Please don't give HUMORE the bad rap...

Dear Kathy,
    Thank you for sharing Nancy's comments.    I would be reluctant to blame
HUMORE if all it is is manure and alfalfa.   Both of those would be the
first I would recommend to ADD to poor soil.    I do feel that the soil
composition itself (leaning towards clay) may be the challenge and reason it
supports rot (water retention).    I'm lucky, my soil contains lots of rocky
elements and drains well, just the opposite of clay, which is what I
understood Oklahoma to be.    Three years ago I added huge amounts of manure
and commercial compost to my gardens for Region 14's regional last spring,
and I couldn't have been happier.   The few times I've seen rot is where the
iris clump has lived for over 5 years and depleted the soil so much it
basically isn't growing much.   If the rhizome has nutrition, it usuallly
will outgrow the rot problem here, and I believe good soil drainage keeps
rot from having an environment it likes.   I may hate the rocky soil, but it
has it's benefits.  Why it took me 20 years to figure this out, I don't
know.   I will avoid commercial fertilizer if I can... and instead prepare
the beds ahead of time with natural compost... lots of it.
      I do understand that the soil needs of everyone are different.    What
works for one may not be the answer for others.
Kitty Loberg
northern Calif.

>Regarding the John Jones post of yesterday, I feel compelled to share this
>with the list...  I feel HUMORE is most unjustly getting the bad rap from
>improperly informed sources...  ALL the OKC National Convention gardens
(IRIS
>AND DAYLILY) used HUMORE.  I use HUMORE.  I've had no rot...  Linda Mann
may
>have been more on target with her post of a couple days ago...
>
><< Kathy.....(you may forward this post if you would like).
>
> <clip>
>
>There is absolutely nothing in Humore (manure and alfalfa, composted) that
>could have caused "poisoning" of the plants or the soil.  I sincerely
believe
>we were the unfortunate victims of the many days of 100+ degree growing
days,
>prolonged drought, and the fact that Round Up is used in preparing the
soil,
>which may have injured the health of the good plant microbes.  This, in
spite
>of what the manufacurers say about Round Up not harming the soil, is STILL
>potent chemical as far as the good soil microbes are concerned.
>
>In 1988, during nationals here, I had used Round Up in preparation where
the
>guest plants were grown.  In my own private plantings I did not use any
Round
>Up.  My own plants were growing healthy and superbly during convention time
>(in these gardens the weeds had been grubbed out by hand).   The guest
>plantings were a disaster as some folks may remember, some visitors who
know
>observed mustard seed fungus in that particular soil.  The two years prior
>that convention we had nothing but rain, very wet soggy soil.  I did not
have
>access nor did I even know of HUMORE at that time.
>
>The rest of my garden gets plenty of applications of HUMORE and in my
mind's
>eye gets quite a boost from the use of it.    It is my humble opinion that
>man made chemicals are the stuff that poisons the soil, not things that are
>made from natural substances such as manure and alfalfa>
>I wish more people would go to Elaine Ingham's website and study more about
>feeding the soil, and learn how to NOT use chemicals which definitely harm
>the soil structure.  If you need a link to her site here it is: Soil Food
by
>Dr. Elaine Ingham    I also am enjoying photos of last years convention...
of
>my own Iris, grown separately from the guest beds, all growing in beautiful
>condition.  A testimonial to what HUMORE can do.
>
>Cheers and best wishes for the coming year...
>
>Nancy Fernandes, Edmond, OK

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/486170/_/978196368/