CULT:Gardening Advice

> there are publishers and writers who think a writer can write about
> anything assigned to them. And of course they can, but they usually make a
> poor job of it. I do believe the term "hack" applies in many of these
> cases.
> Fred Kerr
> Rainbow Acres
      This also applies to gardening articles in newspapers that were picked
up by a wire service and distributed nationally.  The author may live in a climate
completely different from yours, which means the information is all
wrong for your area yet some people believe it merely because it is
in print.  I remember a syndicated garden columnist in Dallas who
lived in an apartment.  He never gardened but had a ton of reference
books he consulted for his columns.

     Gardening radio talk shows with call-ins and advice from the
moderator are a hoot here, particularly when the caller asks about
irises.  If you follow their advice, you will surely kill the plants!

    Walter Moores
    Enid Lake, MS 7/8 USA (where we have been in an unrelenting deep
freeze since December 11....just cold weather without any frozen
precip  or power outages...thank goodness).

Click here for more details: