RE: CULT: Adding sand as soil amendment

  • To: <iris-talk@egroups.com>
  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] CULT: Adding sand as soil amendment
  • From: "Greg McCullough" <icity@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 14:11:19 -0600

We have heavy clay, acid soil in Middle Tennessee. We plow deeply, till,
then add 2-3 inches of sand and 4-6 inches of peat moss or rotted sawdust
and till again for our beardless. For bearded we only add the sand. We think
it gives the bed very good substance and allows it to drain well. Bought 124
tons of sand this year and moved it all with a front end loader to the beds
then raked and shoveled it out. Makes for great exercise....also makes you
appreciate good help.

Greg McCullough
Iris City Gardens
Primm Springs, Tennessee (just southwest of Nashville)
Zone 6