HYB:early planting of seeds

A number of people have talking about planting their seeds still green so as to avoid the need for stratification. I'd like to get an early start on my seeds which are ready for harvest,
How green do you pick them? slight wrinkling of the pod, still completely fleshy???
Do you soak before planting?
We have very hot weather for the next two months. Could I put the seeds in the fridge (?soaked and in damp spagnum) to start germination before planting them out in March when the weather should be a bit better. I'd like to get them as as advenced as possible because once we get to bloom season I don't have time to pick them out and transplant them, which is when they usually need attention. So it would be nice to transplant over winter when I have time. Remembering that our winters aren't all that cold, just frosty and the irises are growing actively at this stage.

Colleen Modra
South Australia
Zone 8/9