Re: CULT: Adding sand as soil amendment

Hi Kitty,
I use sand to lighten the soil. I have to add some peat and gypsum to really break it up. But sand helps too. As far as iris and clay go. They seem to like it here. I don't get more increase in rhizomes or flowers by adding amendments.
----- Original Message -----
From: Loberg
To: iris-talk@egroups.com
Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2000 1:01 PM
Subject: [iris-talk] CULT: Adding sand as soil amendment

    Although I've heard several threads talking about amendments, pros and
cons... most recently about the Humor in OK, one thing I've not heard much
talk about... does anyone add sand or equivalent in large quantities to
their iris garden beds?   Not just a covering, but till it in?   I don't
need to because my soil already drains well, but as I think about those who
say they have clay or heavy clay, I'm just wondering if adding huge amounts
of sand (or course builders sand as Rosalie once said) would help.    Not as
a substitute for other nutrients, but to lighten the soil and make it drain
better.    Anyone with reports on using sand?
Kitty Loberg
northern Calif.

      eGroups Sponsor

Download Net2Phone's free software to make FREE calls anywhere within
the US from your PC now! Get great low rates on international calls!