Re: HYB: Neglecta

Someone asked about the inheritance of the neglecta pattern. I believe it can
come from more than one source. Many of the species tall bearded iris have a
tendency to be bitoned, e.g. the standards have less anthocyanin than the
falls. I am not certain about how this version of neglecta is inherited,
although it is not uncommon to find bitones in crosses with dark blue
parents. Another type of neglecta comes from dominant amoena (Progenitor)
breeding. While the dominant amoena gene does a good job in suppressing color
in the standards in most blue crosses, it does a less complete job when
crossed to extremely dark blue and black varieties. My suspicion is that the
dominant amoena does not work so well against the dark blue pigments derived
from I. aphylla through Black Forest lines.
Fred Kerr
Rainbow Acres

eGroups eLerts