Re: HYB: HIST: umbrata/yellow plicata

--- In iris-talk@egroups.com, Linda Mann <lmann@i...> wrote:
> This is all making me dizzy & I fell off the track somewhere!
Let me
> see if I got this right....
>
> The photo of BERTHA GERSDORFF shows yellow standards and yellow rims
> with yellow on the upper part of the falls and purple on the rest of
> it.  Soo, the yellow on the upper half (lack of anthocyanin) makes
it a
> luminata?
>
> So BERTHA (might) have both the luminata and umbrata pattern on
separate
> alleles or maybe they are variants of (interactions with?) the same
> allele?
>
> If both parents of BERTHA were 'yellow plicatas' (which from what
> listers have posted sounds like they were either yellow with more
than
> the usual amount of brown/purple haft marks or with a (probably)
stripey
> purple/brown plicata edge all the way around the falls...) .can we
infer
> anything from that?  That both parents only had half a dose of
plicata
> genes and BERTHA carries ... oh, brother, this is just too
complicated
> for me to follow today...  Apologies for the thinking out loud and I
> will go off and re-read posts to this point to see if I can even
figure
> out what I'm confused about!!
>
> I'm afraid I've gotten luminatas and glaciatas and which one is part
of
> the plicata locus mixed up in my memory banks again - time to go
cross
> 'healthy with healthy' and be fascinated by what patterns and colors
> show up in the offspring <g>
>
> Chuck, Paul, Dave, Jeff, Bill, anybody, What do you think about the
> photo of BERTHA?  Does it show any expression of plicata?  I don't
know
> enough to even be able to tell.
>
> This is great fun for winter! duh...
>
> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

I just went and had another peak at Bertha G. I would clasify this as
a luminata with the plicata genes "pla pla plu plu", assuming that it
was tetrapolid (or "pla plu" if diploid) That is two glaciata genes
and two luminata genes. Both parents would be plicata. The ground
colour is yellow, which has nothing to do with whether it is plicata
or not. It is likely that both parents caried the luminata gene as one
of their sets of plicata genes. It may or may not be umbrata. The
luminata colour tends to stay in the center of the petals just as
part of the way it is so may need no other explination for its
pattern. I have noticed that there is great variation among the
"luminata" plants as they were so classified. I can see various
genotypes present. Some of what I would call fancy plicata (or
luminata plicata) as well as some that are the striped kind like Flea
Circus", with some variation from modifier genes. The luminata is a
subtype of the plicata family, as is glaciata.

Click here for more details:
http://click.egroups.com/1/10801/0/_/486170/_/978223963/