CULT: sand as soil amendment

> Message: 20
>    Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 11:01:04 -0800
>    From: "Loberg" <loberg@jps.net>
> Subject: CULT: Adding sand as soil amendment
>     Although I've heard several threads talking about amendments, pros and
> cons... most recently about the Humor in OK, one thing I've not heard much
> talk about... does anyone add sand or equivalent in large quantities to
> their iris garden beds?   Not just a covering, but till it in?   I don't
> need to because my soil already drains well, but as I think about those who
> say they have clay or heavy clay, I'm just wondering if adding huge amounts
> of sand (or course builders sand as Rosalie once said) would help.    Not as
> a substitute for other nutrients, but to lighten the soil and make it drain
> better.    Anyone with reports on using sand?
> Kitty Loberg
> northern Calif.

You can only use sand *if* you also add plenty of organic matter,
as the fellow who replied to you used peat moss, else you will
end up with concrete bricks!  :-)  Once you have done this, you need
to keep adding as top dressing or tilling in more organic material
as the original stuff breaks down and decomposes, unlike the clay
and sand.