Re: CULT: Adding sand as soil amendment

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Loberg wrote:

>     Although I've heard several threads talking about amendments, pros and
> cons... most recently about the Humor in OK, one thing I've not heard much
> talk about... does anyone add sand or equivalent in large quantities to
> their iris garden beds?   Not just a covering, but till it in?   I don't
> need to because my soil already drains well, but as I think about those who
> say they have clay or heavy clay, I'm just wondering if adding huge amounts
> of sand (or course builders sand as Rosalie once said) would help.    Not as
> a substitute for other nutrients, but to lighten the soil and make it drain
> better.    Anyone with reports on using sand?
> Kitty Loberg  northern Calif.

There was a discussion about this a couple of years ago on this list and
some people said they got cement if they didn't add organic matter first
like compost or lots of peat moss.

 --
Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada

Download Net2Phone's free software to make FREE calls anywhere within
the US from your PC now! Get great low rates on international calls!
http://click.egroups.com/1/10923/0/_/486170/_/978262724/