Re: CULT:Gardening Advice

On 30 Dec 00, at 19:11, BigAlligator@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/30/00 12:56:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> wmoores@watervalley.net writes:
>
> << This also applies to gardening articles in newspapers that were picked
>  up by a wire service and distributed nationally.  The author may live in
> climate
>  completely different from yours, which means the information is all wrong
>  for your area yet some people believe it merely because it is in print.
>  >>

> Walter,
>         This happens a lot down here.  It is amazing the articles in the
> Ocala paper that are written by people in the north, touting plants and
> techniques that will certainly fail in Florida.  Sadly, much of this
> information is on the Master Gardener's pages of the paper...
>        We are freezing our tails off down here again.  At 7:10 PM, the
> temperature on the thermometer outside the window beside me is 27 F.
> ...and this is in Florida.
>
> Mark A. Cook
> BigAlligator@aol.com
> Dunnellon, Florida.

	I always get a big kick out of the articles that say that bearded irises
start blooming in June and continue through July.  Maybe, that is true
in the states that border Canada.  Articles stating such should have
the dates changed for the southern states, but that is not the case.
I think a lot of garden page editors are just looking for 'filler
material' for the pages and don't really consider the source or the
misinformation they are distributing.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

eGroups eLerts