RE:HYB:Plicata Genetics part #6-Zonals

I hope to get some comments and perhaps some challenges to what I'm saying in
this post.
 With the realization that the Luminata pattern is two luminata and two
glaciata genes (pla pla plu plu), then comes the question, What are the
pattern that has three and four luminata genes. To this end it required
looking at the offspring of crosses that are heavy in luminata genes and also
looking at the offspring of those that could be luminata homozygous (query,
does this term apply to tetraploids?). I came accross Exotic Star, a well
known zonal from a cross of two plicatas and Exotic Isle, a cross of Exotic
Star and Going My Way (a child of Stepping Out). There also is Fall Spotlight
(one of Walter Moores) a cross of a plicata (Needlecraft) with a zonal/amoena
phenotype (Magic Candle). FS has a large zonal spot. Then there is Scorpio
Star (also Walter Moore) a zonal from Victoria Falls times Fall Spotlight.
There is the article by Robert Schreiner in the July 1985 Bulletin "An
Emerging Pattern: Zonals". An article well worth reading for those looking for
more information. At that time he was seening two genotypes to explain one
phenotype (Zonals). We can now see plicata offspring from a number of the
zonals that he was talking about. Victoria Falls and Lorilee have both
produced plicatas in the apropriate crosses, which they couldn't do unless
they were plicatas or carried genes. As Robert Schreiner noted, there was no
plicatas seen in their geneology. He also noted that there were no plicatas in
the siblings of Lorilee or Victoria Falls. Now if VF and Lorilee are
homozygous for the luminata gene ( that is plu plu plu plu) then all that
could be seen is those that have only the luminata gene. This would seem to be
the situation. A zonal times a zonal produces zonals. There will be no
variation on this untill glaciata or regular plicata genes are brought into
the genetic mix. this is the same as with glaciatas. Both are stable patterns.
A glaciata crossed with a glaciata will have 100% glaciata offspring and a
zonal crossed with a zonal will produce 100% zonals. Walter Moore has been
most generous in sharing some of his work with zonals with me which helps
tremendously in figuring out what is happening here. I would propose that the
wide zonal pattern as seen in Fall Spotlight is genetically "pl plu plu plu"
thus this wide zonal is a bit different then regular zonal. In the cross of FS
X Victoria Falls Walter got zonals with various sized spots and Ascii Art.
Ascii Art would appear to genetically be "pl pl plu plu". This would require
FS to pass on two pl genes even though it has only one of its four plicata
genes as pl. For this I refer to the article "Tetrasomic Segregation At The
Plicta Locus" by Kidd in the April 1976 Bulletin. He has shown that a
recessive gene represented one time out of four, in his example pla, can be
passed on twice as "pla pla" in gametes about once out of 100 times. Ascii art
is the only plicata out of about 100 plants, about right for the segregation
seen by Kidd. Thus Ascii Art should genetically be "pl pl plu plu". this gives
us three more of the plicata family phenotypes. There is a bit of a stretch
here as there are not enough confirmed examples of "pl plu plu plu" and "pl pl
plu plu" to be certain of the variations that can been seen, and variations
there are in each phenotype.
Also I refer people the the photo posted by Mike Sutton on feb 22 '00 of a
zonal from a cross of Rock Star X Bewildebeast.
A cross of luminata X zonals should produce 1/6 luminatas (or 1/12 if of the
Fall Spotlight type). Mike sutton has a photo of a plant from a cross of Fancy
Women x Suky (a zonal with three or four luminata genes). This is a very nice
luminata that I hope is vigourous enough to warrent introduction.
A cross of luminata with glaciatas will also produce 1/6 luminatas (if these
theories are correct). I would suggest that Vanity would be a good selection.
I suspect Vanity to be a glaciata, it certainly does produce plicatas with the
right crosses. Beverly Sills will also produce plicatas with the right crosses
so should produce luminatas when crossed with a luminata. Both of these should
add some vigour to the luminatas. A good zonal to use would be Clanence. It is
a very good quality plant that is very hardy and a good performer, with the
bonus of being a rebloomer.
How about a glaciata X zonal cross. Accoring to the interpretation presented
here, this should produce 100% luminatas. Thus a cross of Vanity X Clarence
will produce 100% luminata if Clarence has four luminata genes or half
luminatas if  it has three luminata genes.Stepping out seenms to carry one or
perhaps two luminata genes so is another possible parent to increase hardiness
in luminata pattern plictas.
Any feedback or comments on this post is welcome.

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/486170/_/978272981/