CULT: Weather and Judges

 . . .  but you are also supposed to
> KNOW your irises and judge them accordingly, while at the same time taking
> into consideration the local weather conditions they were grown in.
> Patrick Orr
> AZ Zone 9
 Patrick, what follows doesn't have anything to do with your original
post about judging luminatas, but I do appreciate your statement
above, particularly about local weather conditions.

Discussing weather conditions is a risky subject to bring to the
attention of show judges just before the show.  In my experience here
and elsewhere, a lot of judges don't want to hear or know about your
weather conditions.  They are going to go by the book and judge each
iris according to perfection for that variety no matter what (rain,
hail, drought, a plague of locusts, etc).  A statement about the
weather, to some judges, indicates to them that you want the judges
to be lenient.  I don't know how this interpretation got started, but
it is a fact of life in these parts.

I think a tour of the show and a general overview and walk-through
first should help the judges decide about weather conditions.  But,
if weather has been a factor, ask the judges what they saw in their
overview.  If they don't see weather damage in their overview,  then
I might bring up weather conditions if I am instructing the judges
and feel that it might be a factor in how they judge.

Still, some judges are going to judge the stalk as a 'sculptured work
of art' no matter what.

I guess you can tell this is a 'pet' subject of mine, but all weather
conditions cannot be groomed away.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

eGroups eLerts