REB: CITY LIGHTS

{{{ I am posting this for those who are not members of IRIS PHOTOS}}}

12-31-00

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of visiting the garden of Francelle Edwards in Glendale, AZ.  She had told me that CITY LIGHTS was blooming, and it DID indeed smell like Root Beer.  I went over to check it out.

I was thinking that perhaps it would have some type of smell that was similar to root beer or that the smell would be something so faint that perhaps it could be mistaken for several different scents, however, I was gravely mistaken.

Francelle had the iris covered up to protect it from the frost that she has been having lately.  She had a tomato cage around it covered with some type of frost protecting material.

As soon as she lifted the material off the cage she told me to inhale.  WOW, root beer city!  The scent filled my nostrils.  I didn't even have to stick my nose down into the flower.  Of course, I did a moment later to smell it again, and it really does smell just like root beer, no mistaking it!

For those of you who know what those candies are that are called "Bottle Caps" (they are root beer flavored), I thought of them while smelling the flower and wondered if the petals would taste just as good.  But, I think Francelle would have took the spade to my head if I started to munch on her flower...lol

Patrick Orr
AZ Zone 9

Download Net2Phone's free software to make FREE calls anywhere within
the US from your PC now! Get great low rates on international calls!
http://click.egroups.com/1/10923/0/_/486170/_/978311527/