RE: COMP: Virus

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] COMP: Virus
  • From: "Steve Szabo" <stevesz@erols.com>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 05:52:04 -0500

Rob,

I do have a collection of virus.  Would you care to test this trick out?

Not only does it not work, it plain doesn't work.  What will happen is that
MAPI enabled malware will send out a message with that address, and the
message will come back saying that no transport is available, or a similar
message depending on your program, while the program will continue to send
out messages to the rest of your address book.  Also, many of these malware
programs not only use the address book, and some skip that entirely, but
they search other sources for email addresses, like your browser caches,
your mail storage files, etc.

I'd suggest you don't--get a good anti-virus program,, I personally
recommend NAI's McAfee or TrendMicro's PC-Cillin, and make sure it is kept
updated.  Both can do it automatically for you.  Also, for those of you who
do not yet have an anti-virus program on your machines, go to
http://www.antivirus.com and click through to their free online virus
scanner.  The site is run by TrendMicro, and works best (unfortunately) with
Internet Explorer.