Re: COMP: Virus

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] COMP: Virus
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gerrysnyder@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 10:35:59 -0800

Dennis Kramb wrote:

> I am on an iMac and I don't have any anti-virus software.  Are all
> these viruses PC-related or do they attack Mac's too?

Macs are not inherently immune, but there are two things in your favor.

The Mac operating systems (even before X, which is a big improvement in
this regard) are not quite as vulnerable. There is more protection built
in. But far from enough for complete safety.

And more viruses are written for Win machines, since there are so many
more of them. Most viruses are specific to one platform or another.
However, there are some that come as macros for MS office s/w (such as
Word), and these can operate on both platforms.

So be thankful, but still be careful. There are Mac viruses, and if one
hits you will wish you had protected yourself.

Gerry
--
mailto:gerrysnyder@mediaone.net
Gerry Snyder, AIS Director & Symposium Chair, Region 15 RVP

See What You've Been Missing!
Amazing Wireless Video Camera.
Click here
http://us.click.yahoo.com/75YKVC/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM