RE: OT:virus

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] OT:virus
  • From: "Steve Szabo" <stevesz@erols.com>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 16:41:51 -0500

No need to reinstall what you already have..  However, it would be wise to
patch your IE, even if you don't use it because there are those at Microsoft
that thought it would be a good thing to intertwine operating system files
with browser files.  You can use IE to do this.  Open up IE and go to Tools
(presupposing you have at least IE 4.0), on the drop down menu select
Windows Update.  This will take you to a site that will then download an
active-x application (presupposing that you have not done this before).
Click through, selecting the trust microsoft content box, and the
application will download and run, searching your machine for needed
updates.  When this is done, you will be presented with a list of various
updates.  The critical updates box will already be checked.  Download these
(it could be quite large if you have never updated your machine).  If you
are using a modem, get yourself a snack and something to drink, pop in a DVD
into your DVD player and watch the movie.  When you are done, the file will
have, we hope, downloaded and installed itself.  You machine will then need
to be restarted.  Once you are back up and running, repeat the process.  Do
not be surprised to see more critical updates to download.  These are merely
patches to fix the patches you have just downloaded.  If you don't see
anymore critical updates, scroll down the list of other updates.  If you are
not running IE 6.x, download the setup file, make your selections and let
the download and install commence.  Pop another movie in the DVD if you are
using a modem connection, and go back to your snack food meal.  When you are
done you will need to reboot your machine.  Repeat this process until you
have all the updates you need.

Once you are done with the OS, click on the Office updates icon while you
are in updates, if you use office.  If you use Office 2000 don't apply SP2
unless you are not using Outlook as it will make life difficult for you when
you receive attachments.  Be sure you understand what each update does, and
then determine if you need it.  These can be applied in one swell foop once
you have the appropriate SP installed.

Once you are past the office updates, if you really want to go whole hog, go
to http://www.updates.com which will redirect you to a slightly different
address (cNET) and then you can go through the process of installing the
Netscape plugin or the Active-X program (depending on which browser you are
using) and then you can check the security updates again (and more will come
up, believe me).  At this site you can also check for program updates to
determine if there are any updates you have missed for the programs you have
installed.  Here it is surfer beware.  While it may say that you do not have
a security or software update, you may not actually need it.  If you do not
know much about computers, this is a good time to con your favorite geek to
come over and help you out.  I will not do it, trying to get myself off the
hook here <g>.

Who just bought himself a spiff new car courtesy of sloppy Microsoft
programming habits <g>