Re: COMP: viruses, Netscape

  • Subject: Re: COMP: viruses, Netscape
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 18:23:26 -0500

Thanks, Steve, for all the detailed info on Explorer stuff (I think?).

Like Debi, I, too, have been using Netscape as it seems to not be
targeted by all the recent rapidly spreading worms & viruses.  However,
this last 'badtrans' worm finally got me over to Wally World to pick up
a copy of Norton 2002.  I have it set to update everytime I go online
also.  I have never had a problem with worms or viruses infecting my
computer, and only occasionally receive them.  That is, until this one
came along - two copies sent to me in the last few days from iris folks
- sorry, I ditched them, & didn't make note of who they were from.  They
both came thru Netscape as 'empty' messages, the first before Norton was
here (& the motivation to go out immediately and get a copy), the second
afterwards.  Norton said it didn't recognize it, but still knew it was
the badtrans worm & that I should quarantine it, whatever that means.

Do I really have to do all that downloading of Explorer patches?  They
hitched up my phone line to a newly installed buried cable last week, so
now my modem speed is up to 48K (wow!), but I still might have trouble
keeping a prolonged connection.  All my geek buddies are nowhere near me
(they tend to live much closer to civilization) & are not likely to be
willing to drop by.  I'm using Netscape version 4.7, & never (?) use

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

See What You've Been Missing!
Amazing Wireless Video Camera.
Click here