Re: HYB: seed germination experiment

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] HYB: seed germination experiment
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 18:22:55 -0600

Linda,

My own experiment this year involved planting green seeds.  6 pods planted
green and then stowed in the bottom of the refrigerator 'til I took them out
this November.  So far 16 seeds have sprouted on 3 of the pods.  One pod has
a dozen, 3 pods have nothing yet.  I guess they'll be treated the same as
those spring seeds that waited 'til fall to germinate if I ever get around
to fixing it up.  I did get two railroad ties for walls today, but haven't
decided where to locate it yet.  And shade cloth or remay or whatever to
cover it will require a trip to some city and I don't know when that may
happen.  These all involved an arilbred pollen parent except one that is AB
X AB.  The seedling did survive the first nasty freeze, but I did move them
onto the glass porch before the temps reached the mid 20s.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA