Re: My apologies, I have McAfee's Anti-Virus turned back on now

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] My apologies, I have McAfee's Anti-Virus turned back on now
  • From: "Kitty & Bruce Loberg" <loberg@jps.net>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 19:49:21 -0800

    I am very, very sorry for the trouble my PC system may have caused
everyone on iris-talk.
    I have turned Dr. Solomon back on (McAfee's Anti-Virus) and run numerous
scans and I think I'm ok now.   I guess I had to learn the hard lesson of
what happens when I get sloppy.    Because anti-virus software uses memory
resources which can "slow" down your processor, I had on occasion turned off
Dr. Solomon, thinking that it was unlikely I would get a virus (Never had
one at home before.  I've seen many at work, but none at home.   One gets
complacent.)   A hard lesson will teach me to be more considerate of others.
     Imagine my surprise when I was at work on Friday, when I (and my boss!)
received the strange email from my home PC around 10AM.    I guessed it was
a virus, and immediately called home to talk to my husband.   He had just
signed on to internet to email, although he didn't read or even open any
email messages.   He couldn't see anything wrong, but I asked him to stay
off until I could get home, and just this morning checked it out.    It
appears a message came into our PC at around 10AM on Friday, infected, and
it immediately sent out replications to perhaps hundreds, including
iris-talk.   What a trail of woe my PC has created.
     As many of you have figured out, this is the w32/Badtrans@mm viris.
Patricia says she didn't even open any email, and my husband says the same,
so any of you who don't have virus protection or don't have it turned on
like idiot me, could be infected.   If you would like a full explanation of
this virus, click on the following:
     I have called the individual who looks to me to be the source of the
virus as it came to me on Friday.   They had virus protection turned on, but
had not updated the signature files for some time, and it hadn't been
detected.  Another lesson for me.
     I am very ashamed, and have egg all over my face.   Please don't tar
and feather me too much!
Kitty Loberg

See What You've Been Missing!
Amazing Wireless Video Camera.