Re: Re: HYB: Challenge

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: Challenge
  • From: storylade@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 09:22:19 EST

In a message dated 12/2/01 7:14:52 AM Central Standard Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

<< an iris that would only rebloom once in the
 early fall, I would wave the wand over something more spectacular than
 my previous suggestions... >>

Ah, you were looking for everblooming perfection, perhaps?  Well, since
everything is possible with a mythical magic wand . . . dream on!  It's your
call.  However, in my region summer bloom is not something I desire.  The
weather is too hot, the stalks tend to be short, and the heat decimates the
blooms quickly.

<<<Hard to imagine any of them in this balmy November/December post-killing
freeze landscape.>>>

Was that why the list slowed to less than a crawl?  Everyone was frozen in
place along with their irises?  I thought everyone ate too much Thanksgiving
Turkey and couldn't crawl to their computers!  Or that everyone might be
Christmas shopping!  Ho!  Ho! Ho!

Betty from BG KY USA Zone 6         This question/challenge sprang from
memories of my own original hybridizing goal which was to turn all of my
favorite irises into rebloomers and my own understanding that everyone
doesn't like the same things in irises.  Although I have no "high
expectations" at this point, I will take anything nice that choses to bloom,
and hopefully rebloom, in my garden.