RE: Re: COMP: viruses, Netscape

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] Re: COMP: viruses, Netscape
  • From: "Steve Szabo" <stevesz@erols.com>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 09:17:46 -0500

Linda,

The problem with IE is that it is entwined with the OS, and parts of it are
used by the OS whether or not you use IE.  Therefore, no update is complete
without also updating IE.  If the gov't had not backed down in that
anti-trust settlement, though it is not final yet, it may have been
different in the future.

Out of a modem, you'll seldom get more than 50kbps (not 50KBps), and I
presume that is what you are talking about.  If so, 48kbps is not too
shabby.  I haven't looked up to see what is happening with @HOME today,
whether they have stopped service or not, but since they are the biggest
cable provider, if you have cable and your CATV operator provides a
connection, you may not be able to upgrade your connection without going the
satellite route, presuming you are further than three miles from the phone
company's central office in your area (not the office where they do
business, but a building where they do all their switching to make the phone
connections) that would probably be the only option open for you at this
time.  Lousy sentence construction, but you get the drift.

;Your mentioning that Norton not recognizing certain virus is one of the
reasons I don't like it.  If your machine starts doing strange things, you
might want to remove Norton to see if it starts working right again.  You
can always double check by using the online House Call from Trend Micro that
I mentioned earlier.