Re: Virus, Attn: Patricia Brooks

  • Subject: Re: Virus, Attn: Patricia Brooks
  • From: pbrooks@whidbey.net
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 23:29:55 -0000

Thanks, Glenn.  My server tech told me about AVG, but I couldn't find
it using any of the search engines.  Do you have a website name?  I
bought Norton 2002, and it updates automatically, or so it says.
Lately I NEVER get into Outlook Express without Norton telling me one
or more of the e-mail are infected.  It keeps telling me it can't
repair, do I want to quarantine?  I say yes, and apparently that
takes care of it, though my server tech said those quarantined virus
can still come back and infect.

Thanks for your help, everybody!  Iris lovers are such good people,
don't you find?

Patricia Brooks

--- In iris-talk@y..., Glenn Simmons <glenn_simmons@j...> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 19:22:33 -0000 pbrooks@w... writes:
> > I got a virus on my Outlook Express which Norton said came from
Kitty

> > and Bruce Loberg through iris-talk.  So far it hasn't been able
> > clean/delete/repair any of these waves of viruses I've been
getting.
> > So I quarantee them, though my server tech service says this
doesn't
> > really get rid of them and they can cause trouble down the line.
> >
> > The worst seems to have attacked the file
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\kernel
W32.Badtrans.B@mm
> > virus."  I had told them to quarantee it, but as I said, I'm not
sure
> > that really takes care of the thing.
> >
> > I don't know how I keep getting these, since I don't open any e-
mail
> > from anyone I don't know, and would surely not open ANY
attachments.

> > Sigh.
> >
> > Patricia Brooks
> >

> Patricia,
>
> I guess you saw my letter to the group a couple days ago concerning
the
> virus I received.  If you are having trouble you might like to try
out
> the software I use, it is called AVG and can be downloaded at no
cost
> from www.grisoft.com .  These viruses are nasty things and I really
wish
> the people sending these things out would have their own computers
> infected with them and be unable to clear them off but that is
probably
> wishful thinking.  :)  I have been using computers since 1978 and
on the
> internet since 1991 and I have tried all the big named virus
software
> packages like Norton and Symantec and so far I really think AVG
works
> better than anything else I have tried.  Pat, AVG is free and they
update
> their software very regularly (like 2 or more times a month for the
last
> 6 months or so) and you will receive update notices through email
and all
> updates are free too.  When you receive an update notice all you
have to
> do is click on "UPDATE" and the software automatically downloads the
> update, installs it and all you have to do is reboot your computer
after
> the installation is complete.  During the last 3 years I have been
using
> AVG it has not missed a single virus that has arrived at my computer
> through email.  I also use a second virus software package called
VCatch
> that works in conjunction with my AVG.  VCatch works primarily on
email,
> every email that arrives here is scanned by AVG and VCatch and like
> said, so far none has managed to get through (keeping my fingers
> crossed)!  :)
>
> If you are having problems getting re-infected with viruses then you
> might want to try these that I use.  However, the most important
thing
> concerning viruses detection software is keeping it updated with
the most
> current virus definitions!  This is very important Patricia!
>
> Have a good day,
>
> Glenn
>

> Glenn & Linda & Matthew Simmons,  Springfield, Missouri, Climate
Zone 6
> USA
>
> mailto:glenn_simmons@j...
> mailto:glenn_simmons@p...