Re: COMP: Viruses, Netscape

  • Subject: Re: COMP: Viruses, Netscape
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 18:42:50 -0500

Steve said:
<Out of a modem, you'll seldom get more than 50kbps (not 50KBps), and I
                 presume that is what you are talking about.  If so,
48kbps is not too
                 shabby.  >

Ok, so I overlooked a few zeros <g> - my connect speed is 48,000 bps.
Quite an improvement over the 22,000 max it got the day before.

<.... if you have cable and your CATV operator provides a
                 connection, you may not be able to upgrade your
connection ...>

Very strange about all these high tech things - they installed a cable
system here many years ago (15? 20?), even tho this was a thinly
populated, relatively impoverished rural area.  "They:" said some
computer program had identified our area as a high growth location (?).
Looks like they were right - interesting mix of trailers, semi-resort
B&B, rich likeside retiree development not too far away.  They are
installing water lines, of all things.

Anyway, are you saying cable would be better than this faster modem
speed or about the same?  They are in the process of converting our tv
cable system to digital in this area, so presumably will be able to
offer computer hookup fairly soon, tho no news on when.

<..., presuming you are further than three miles from the phone
                 company's central office in your area (not the office
where they do
                 business, but a building where they do all their
switching to make the phone
                 connections) ..>

Well, believe it or not, that's what they just switched me over to.  The
buried cable is connected to a 'central office' (I think that is
actually just a hole in the ground with a box on top) about half a mile
from my house.  Quite a change from where it used to be, a fur piece
down the highway in the next county.  I am pretty sure the system is
fiber optic from the new 'central office' to wherever such things go.

I'm still a bit confused about your concern about the Microsoft
operating system being able to mess up my computer via viruses/worms.
If the only source of a virus/worm is email thru Netscape, & Norton is
catching and killing/quarantining them as they arrive, what difference
does it make that my OS is 'polluting' Netscape?

Norton caught the worm, identified it by file name, & quarantined it.
Are you saying that viruses/worms can still be doing bad things even
while quarantined & deleted?

Ok, you said you didn't want to get dragged into this kind of detailed
help...<g>...

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

See What You've Been Missing!
Amazing Wireless Video Camera.