REB In December, In Northeastern Ohio

  • Subject: REB In December, In Northeastern Ohio
  • From: Robert Pindell <bobdell@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 08:52:21 -0500

I am usually in Lurk Only mode in this group, however.......I think some here would like to hear about my rebloomers, this year.

I live in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland Ohio, the Snow Belt, (the map says zone 5 due to the lake effect).  We have had very little frost in the immediate area as well.

Any how, right now, 3 December, I have a medium size clump LO HO SILVER that has 10 bloom stocks three of which have fully open flowers, an smallish clump of PERFUME COUNTER with 2 bloom stocks, one just ready to open its first flower, and one small clump of an unknown purple median with one tight bloom stock.  None of these even appeared to have bloom stocks the first of November.

Such very late blooms seem to be the result of the rebloom tendency of  the irises involved and the favorable micro climate this year.  I have many of my iris near the sidewalk and it is great fun to watch the neighbors walk by, stop, look at these December flowers  very puzzled, indeed, and walk on.

Now a question about these rebloomers:  I have only had LO HO SILVER and PERFUME COUNTER for two years, planted August 1999.  Neither has bloomed for me in the spring but both bloomed in the fall of 2000.   If the weather had been more the standard Northeast Ohio Snow Belt weather with a much colder fall and snow on the ground by about the middle of November would LO HO SILVER and PERFUME COUNTER have held their bloom stocks as buds and bloomed in the spring or should I expect them to fall bloom only?

Thanks,
Bob

See What You've Been Missing!
Amazing Wireless Video Camera.