RE: gotta buy

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] gotta buy
  • From: John Reeds <jreeds@microsensors.com>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 08:43:25 -0800

> Of at least 100 varieties that I ordered last year, Picante and
> Blonde Bombshell were the outstanding varieties.
> Can anyone please help me with varieties that are on a par with these?
>
> Dian Mitterer
> South Australia
> Australia

As another person already suggested, Barry Blyth at Tempo Two in Australia
has a lot of gorgeous iris, and you won't have to pay quarantine fees.  His
LOISA'S SONG is a truly superior iris, and it already has some impressive
looking children.  Tempo Two also carries many American introductions, which
might reduce your import costs.

I also like Ghio introductions a lot, as you obviously do.  EPICENTER,
DOUBLE DRIBBLE, LAUGH LINES, SOCIETY PAGE,  SKIPALONG, DAWNING, and SELECT
CIRCLE come to mind as superior in appearance and garden habits.  Hager's
TIMESCAPE has always been a favorite.

If rebloom (and vigorous growth) is more important than exquisite form, many
of (the late) Monty Byers introductions would serve; particularly STINGRAY
(blooms almost constantly, 11 multi-branched stalks for me right now in the
middle of winter from a 3-ft. long row), also ROCK STAR, REINCARNATION, and
EGGNOG.

John Reeds, in sunny southern California
jreeds@microsensors.com