Re: CULT: Best Iris Fragrance

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Best Iris Fragrance
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 17:02:32 -0700

One spring about three years ago I was working in my iris bed when I caught a fragrance so exquisite that I thought it was our star jasmine blooming early.  I had almost finished the bed when I discovered that the fragrance was from Appleblossom Days, a big, ruffled, peach pink iris.  Mountain Violet also has a lovely fragrance.
    In 2000, on the last day of the garden tours at the AIS National convention.  I had an experience I will never forget.  It was noon, at the last garden before lunch.  Everyone was hot, tired and hungry and had seen to many irises to get excited about another.  I wandered down yet another row of irises and stopped to smell a pretty little white.  The fragrance was so wonderful I could hardly believe it.  I called to a lady near me to smell this iris.  She did, and her face lit up in a bright smile.  She called to a group of her friends.  I stood back and watched their faces as they came.  Tired, bored, skeptical, each took a sniff of that little white iris and broke into a delighted smile.  The crowd got quite large.  The photographers came, set up their cameras and took its picture.  I had to wait to take mine.  It was a pretty iris, white with a soft pink glow in the center.  It was a seedling from Linda Fan, HM 102.  I saw in the AIS bulletin this summer that it has won High Commendation.  I hope it is introduced.  I want it.
Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  finally a rainy day!