Re: Re: Most Fragrant Iris

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: Most Fragrant Iris
  • From: Bill Shear <wshear@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 10:17:44 -0500

The only iris I really remember for its fragrance is INCA CHIEF, now, I
guess an historic iris.  It never grew really well for me in northern PA,
but was an excellent, though short,  coppery brown with good form and
ruffles.  The fragrance was very difficult to define--a sort of a
combination of grape, jasmine and root beer, as I recall.  But far and away
the most fragrant iris of its time.

Next year I hope to see bloom on JERSEY BOUNCE, which, according to Keith
Keppel, is very fragrant.  This is an aspect of iris that breeders seem
rarely to emphasize or work for, but it adds greatly to a variety's
appeal--so long as it is not of the mild skunk or wet-dog variety one
sometimes finds!

Bill Shear

Quit now for Great
American Smokeout