Re: SPEC: help re: SIGNA seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] SPEC: help re: SIGNA seeds
  • From: Bill Shear <wshear@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 15:19:27 -0500

On 12/5/01 2:49 PM, "Linda Mann" <lmann@volfirst.net> wrote:

> I gathered some seeds from those interesting Lousiana/I.brevicaulis (?)
> plants (see photo posted last summer).  From your post, Diana Louis, I
> assume it isn't too late to donate them to SIGNA?   Can I just send them
> the unsolicited seeds?  Anything I need to know about packaging them?
> What about all the sterilization going on at post offices?

Linda, I can't speak officially, but in the past the deadline for SIGNA
seeds has been in early November.  However, they sometimes accept late seeds
and put them on a supplementary list.  SIGNA never solicits seeds, except as
a general call to members.  Anyone can send in any seeds they like--but let
the buyer beware, some of them may not turn out to be "as advertised" and
SIGNA can take no responsibility for that.

As for postal irradiation, there has been a great deal of discussion of this
on several museum listservers.  The intensity of the radiation being used is
so great that DNA is damaged, plastics can be made brittle, and magnetic
media (like CDs and computer discs) would be rendered useless.  Such
radiation would certainly kill seeds.

I THINK (but don't know) that radiation is only being used for certain
postal distribution centers, like the one in northern VA that serves the
Washington area.  The mail is shipped to Ohio for irradiation and then back
for distribution.  There is a big backlog that is slowly being taken care
of.  It would be best to ask your postmaster before sending any seeds, bulbs
or plants through the mail.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(434)223-6172
FAX (434)223-6374
email<wshear@email.hsc.edu>
Moderating e-lists:

"A man thinks as well through his legs and arms as his brain.  We exaggerate
the importance and exclusiveness of the headquarters.  Do you suppose they
were a race of consumptives and dyspeptics who invented Grecian mythology
and poetry?  The poet's words are, "You would almost say the body thought!"
I quite say it.  I trust we have a good body then."  --Henry David Thoreau,
Journals, Dec. 31, 1860.

See What You've Been Missing!
Amazing Wireless Video Camera.
Click here