Re: REF: Checklist Uses

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] REF: Checklist Uses
  • From: "Mike Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:38:03 -0500

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: jpvhook@aol.com
  To: iris-talk@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 12:38 AM

      Thanks for the info. On the rebloom iris society I e-mailed Charlie!! :-)
  I had three seedlings to rebloom this fall they were 2000 seedlings. Do
  seedlings rebloom as first year seedlings? I had some that were 2001
  from rebloom crosses that didn't.Or do they need to be two year old plants?

                                                      John Van Hook
                                                  Zone 6 Somerset Ky. USA

  This is kind of confusing.

  For me
   1.  2000 seedling is a 1999 cross that the seeds germinated in the spring of 2000
  2.  2001 seedling is a 2000 cross that germinated in spring of 2001.
  If # 1 blooms on the spring of 2001 and the fall of 2001 it would be a rebloomer
  If # 1 only bloomed in the fall of 2001 that would be it's first bloom not a rebloomer If it blooms spring and fall after that it  would be a rebloomer.

  I don't think it is possible for # 2  to bloom in the spring as they would only be several inches high. I have had several of 2000 ( # 2 ) crosses  bloom in the fall this year. All SDB's. I think Walter Moore had a TB do it this fall.

  Right now I have rebloom on Little Showoff. And Lumilite has a bloom stalk starting. Lumilite has RB in its history but I don't think is known to be a rebloomer.
  Weather has been unusually warm this fall and I am in a frost protected pocket.

  I know some can germinate seeds in the fall and carry them over the winter. If they germinated in the fall of 2001 would they be 2001 seedlings?

  I don't even want to try the " punnett square " thing. It would cause a major Senior Moment.

  Mike Greenfield
  SW OH Zone 5b, USA

See What You've Been Missing!
Amazing Wireless Video Camera.