Re: SPEC:postal irradiation and seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] SPEC:postal irradiation and seeds
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 08:28:03 -0600

In rural areas this may be a different story.  Our post office serves
less than 1,000, and the old route one (now changed to reflect E-911
street addresses) has about 250 postal patrons on it.  At our p.o.
the employees just sort incoming mail, deliver it, and accept
whatever mail is dumped through the chutes or picked up on the rural
routes.  Outgoing mail (even if it is to be delivered in our fair
city) is sent out uncanceled and unsorted to the regional p. o. at
38901, about twenty-five miles away.  I asked  if the mail was
disinfected there, and the postmaster said he didn't know.  So, if
you live in a rural area, you may have to check with the regional
post office in another city to find out about their proceedings.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS 7/8 USA

On 6 Dec 01, at 9:05, Bill Shear wrote:

> If you are concerned about mailing seeds, your best information will be
> obtained from your local postmaster.  Not all US mail is being
> irradiated--only a small fraction.
> Ask your postmaster if seed sent to you from a particular shipper will be
> irradiated, or, if you plan to send seed, ask your postmaster if mail from
> your post office is being irradiated.
> Bill Shear
> Department of Biology
> Hampden-Sydney College