Re: SPEC:postal irradiation and seeds

  • Subject: Re: SPEC:postal irradiation and seeds
  • From: "oops_the_juggler" <rbarton@hsc.unt.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 22:34:25 -0000

The word from Jan an Marty is that Darrell Probst contacted the UPSP
and currently only letters are being irradiated, not packages or
packets like SIGNA uses.  My local window clerk says that currently
only mail to the government offices in Washinton DC is being
irradiated, and that they are taking a "wait and see" attitude toward
expanding the program. She also said she felt that some provisions
would be made for sensitive mail. For now, at least, our seeds seem

--- In iris-talk@y..., Bill Shear <wshear@h...> wrote:
> If you are concerned about mailing seeds, your best information will be
> obtained from your local postmaster.  Not all US mail is being
> irradiated--only a small fraction.
> Ask your postmaster if seed sent to you from a particular shipper will be
> irradiated, or, if you plan to send seed, ask your postmaster if mail from
> your post office is being irradiated.
> Bill Shear
> Department of Biology

Break free. Great