RE: HYB: Seedlings sprouting

  • Subject: RE: HYB: Seedlings sprouting
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 10:01:10 -0500

<Ok, folks.  I just finished planting all my seeds and many of them
were  sprouting in the paper towels.  What I can't remember is whether
or not I   need to protect those sprouted but not out of the ground
(does that make sense) seedlings from freezes.  I very carefully put a
layer of soil over   those seeds and the seedlings will have to grow up
through that soil to    break free of the surface.  At what point do
they need protection from  freezes?Dana Brown   Lubbock, TX  USA  Zone 7
USDA, Zone 10 Sunse>

Dana, I think they need protection from any really serious freezes until
they get to be semi-adult sized (=all this winter/early spring).  I
guess a light frost wouldnt hurt them, but I suspect temps in the 20sF
could, especially if it stays cold for more than an hour or so.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
wondering why I answered this question when I don't reallly know myself
:>)

Quit now for Great
American Smokeout
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0vN8tD/9pSDAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM