Re: HYB: Seedlings sprouting

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] HYB: Seedlings sprouting
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 20:32:38 -0600

>Ok, folks.  I just finished planting all my seeds and many of them were
>sprouting in the paper towels.  What I can't remember is whether or not I
>need to protect those sprouted but not out of the ground (does that make
>sense) seedlings from freezes.

Can't really say, but I had two sprout this past weekend just after the ice
melted off the top of the pots.  Our temps reached in the low 20s.  The
seeds had surely already been sprouting prior to the seeds and broke the
soil surface after the ice melted.  They seem to be doing okay.  Those that
had already sprouted in other pots I'd taken in on the glassed-in porch,
unheated but not freezing.  Pots with no visible sprouts above ground were
left in the weather.  How much of this weather they could take, I couldn't
say.  Nor do I know the pot temps reached the lows of the thermometer, but
they were fully exposed.  One sitting on the ground, the other pot elevated
in an old galvanized tub on legs.  A couple of stray seedlings in the
seedling beds did quite well, with only one showing a bit of burn at the
leaf tips.  Both these latter about an inch tall with the third leaf fan
just now showing.  For what it's worth.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA