Re: CULT: Why do some stay green, others lose all fans? in winter

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Why do some stay green, others lose all fans? in winter
  • From: "Sandra Barss" <bardraj@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 09:47:50 -0800

I think you are right about the ancestry.  Supposedly the ones that stay
green are more tender growers and the ones that die completely back are
more winter hardy for cold climates - I read this somewhere.  I haven't seen
enough irises that die back to say whether I have found this true or not -
most of the irises I have remain green all winter (under the snow).

Actually, I think Graeme Grosvenor in his book "Iris - Flower of the Rainbow"
makes mention of this.

SE Manitoba
Zone 3