Re: CULT: SPEC: Why do some stay green

  • Subject: Re: CULT: SPEC: Why do some stay green
  • From: "lmmunro" <lmmunro@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 21:03:30 -0000

In my observations, it seems like the smaller diploid-type older iris
drop their foliage most readily when colder weather approaches. The
newer, bigger cultivars with fat green leaves, tend to 'hold on'
longer to their greenery. Although, as you mentioned, most of the
newer ones have different ancestry, and could have inherited the 'go
dormant' tendency. One I have, in particular, LILTING,  drops all its
foliage in September, while almost everything else is hanging on and
trying to make more increase.
By the time January rolls around, I don't think anything outdoors
has 'green' on it. But I plan to be a little more observant this year.
The ones in the garage, however, if they have the 'evergreen' genes,
should probably have some leaves all winter. I was just worried cause
some seemed so eager to turn dormant. I thought they were dying.

Stop Smoking Now
Nicotrol will help