Re: CULT: SPEC: Continued...Why do some stay green

  • Subject: Re: CULT: SPEC: Continued...Why do some stay green
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:07:50 -0500

I. kashmiriana (a bitone lavender) also does really well here, but I
don't have notes on what its foliage does during drought and winter here
(yet).  Also, this is not one that showed up in the pedigree searches I
did of 'survivors' here & I don't know if  it figures much in pedigrees
of modern TBs.  The World of Irises lists chromosome number as 44, 48, &
'a diploid form with 24', from which I assume it is usually tetraploid.
TWOI also lists this species as being important in early development of
irises.  I don't remember hearing that it is a 'Mediterranean' species,
but maybe it is.

SNOW FLURRY is the TB that supposedly comes from 'tender' background
(Mediterranean species).  I got a start of SNOW F a couple of years ago,
and it has done quite well here, including blooming well after getting
hit by some nasty late freezes.  HOWEVER, we haven't had any really
severe cold winter temperatures since it got here & it may not do well
buried under a lot of snow.

Hope this is of some use/interest.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!